Croston Old school is a multi-purpose community resource centre which opened in April 2001 after extensive refurbishment.
It is a grade II listed building which originates from 1660 and was rebuilt in 1827. It is in the centre of the village at the end of Church Street within an Article 4 conservation area, next to the 900 year church and alongside the River Yarrow.
Until 1999 the buildings were used by Lancashire County Council as a school for up to 60 children. In March 1999 the children were re-located to new school buildings and the Old School was left vacant.
Following extensive consultation a registered charity was established to raise funds to develop the building. Outline planning permission was granted in the spring of 2000. A grant from the National Lottery Charities board for £481,062 funded the majority of a £520,000 scheme to convert the building. Over £20,000 was raised by other grants and local fundraising.
The building was opened at Easter 2001 and has provided a home for Croston Pre-school in the south wing for many years & in the north wing we have a large community space for meetings and celebrations in the Old School hall and smaller conference rooms for meetings etc upstairs.
There is also a licensed bar facility.
The venue has gone from strength to strength and is much in demand for wedding receptions and christening parties as well as providing a home to many local voluntary groups. We also hold regular concerts through our partnership with Spot-On Lancashire.
The board of Trustees employs a Centre manager, Caretaker, Bar/Events manager & Events assistants to oversee the day to day running of the centre together with our Volunteers.